Reciprocity / International Certificates

Prevention, Substance Use Disorder and Recovery Credentialing

Professionals that hold eligible credentials or licenses are able to transfer their credentials between jurisdictions that use IC&RC products. 

IC&RC seeks to ease the stress of individuals needing to move their credential or license from one jurisdiction to another through its reciprocity process. Individuals holding a credential through an IC&RC Member Board may be eligible for reciprocity into other IC&RC Member Boards. 

Member Boards may offer reciprocity to credentialed or licensed professionals in other jurisdictions and have the authority to set reciprocity requirements for entry to their jurisdiction. Not all certifications and licenses are eligible for reciprocity. It is important that certified professionals investigate reciprocity prior to relocating to another jurisdiction, because it can be a complicated process. It is recommended to reciprocate at least three months prior to a credential’s expiration.

Please note, IC&RC can only facilitate reciprocity from one IC&RC Member Board to another. To determine whether your credential or license is eligible for reciprocity, please contact the IC&RC Member Board in your Jurisdiction.

To Locate the IC&RC Member Board in Your Jurisdiction

Reciprocity Process

  • Professional contacts the IC&RC Member Board in the jurisdiction to which they want to relocate to learn about the requirements to reciprocate their credential.
  • Professional contacts current IC&RC Member Board for Reciprocity Application.
  • Professional completes the application and returns it to current board.
  • Current board verifies the application and sends it to IC&RC.
  • IC&RC verifies the application, notifies the professional, and sends it to the board in the new location.
  • New board contacts professional when the process is completed.

International Certificates

Displaying your certificate prominently and using the international acronym on professional materials can help you gain greater professional recognition. It also enhances your reputation in the profession and confirms your proficiency. Finally, an International Certificate for counselors (ICADC) is required by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for recognition as a SAP.

There are currently six international recrocal certificates offered through IC&RC:

  • Internationally Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor (ICADC)
  • Internationally Certified Advanced Alcohol & Drug Counselor (ICAADC)
  • Internationally Certified Clinical Supervisor (ICCS)
  • Internationally Certified Criminal Justice Addictions Professional (ICCJP)
  • Internationally Certified Prevention Specialist (ICPS)
  • Internationally Certified Peer Recovery (ICPR)
  • Internationally Certified Peer Recovery-Associate (ICPR-A)

International Certificates can be used by professionals to signify their international, reciprocal status. To be entitled to an International Certificate, professionals must first hold a valid, current, reciprocal-level credential or license through an IC&RC Member Board. International Certificates are tied directly to a professional’s certification or license with an IC&RC member board. They are not free-standing certificates. Professionals should contact their IC&RC Member Board to determine if their credential or license entitles them to an International Certificate.

If you hold one of IC&RC’s international credentials and want a print copy, complete the International Certificate Order Form. International Certificates will be issued to professionals using the same expiration date used by his or her member board for the corresponding credential or license.

Professionals interested in earning a reciprocal-level certification or license must do so through an IC&RC Member Board. For more information on certification or license requirements, please contact the IC&RC Member Board that has jurisdiction in the area where you live or work. Contact information for all IC&RC Member Boards can be found here.

Due to state specific policies and procedures, IC&RC is unable to provide International Certificates for the jurisdictions listed below.

  • New Jersey
  • Nevada (Addiction Counseling Licensure) 

Professionals should contact the IC&RC Member Boards in these jurisdictions for more information. Contact information for all IC&RC member boards can be found on our Member Board Directory.

Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I reciprocate my credential to any certification board?

Your credential is reciprocal only with boards that offer that same credential. For example, if you hold a Prevention Specialist credential from Pennsylvania and you want to reciprocate that credential to Nebraska, you would be unable to do so, because Nebraska, although a Member Board in IC&RC, does not offer the Prevention Specialist credential. Therefore, reciprocity works only if the new jurisdiction to which you are moving offers that credential.

If my credential has expired in my current jurisdiction, can I still reciprocate into a new jurisdiction?

No, your credential must be current and valid in order to reciprocate. If your credential has lapsed, you must successfully recertify prior to applying for reciprocity. In order to avoid credentials expiring during the reciprocity process, credentials must be valid for at least 60 days at the time of application.

When I reciprocate to a new jurisdiction, will my current expiration date on my credential change?

No, your credential must be current and valid to reciprocate. If your credential has lapsed, you must successfully recertify prior to applying for reciprocity. To avoid credentials expiring during the reciprocity process, credentials must be valid for at least 30 days at the time of application.

Can I be denied reciprocity into a new jurisdiction?

IC&RC Member Boards have the right to require additional standards that must be met before accepting a credentialed professional from another jurisdiction. Sometimes these additional standards are minimal and can be met by most without difficulty. In others, additional standards are quite extensive and may take additional time and cost to complete.

How long will it take to hear about my reciprocity application after I send it to my Member Board?

Typically, a Member Board will send your reciprocity materials to IC&RC 10 to 14 business days after they are received. IC&RC will then confirm the reciprocity, and you will be notified via email directly from IC&RC.

If you have not heard from IC&RC within four to six weeks, contact your current Member Board first to inquire about the status of your reciprocity application. Please allow two to three weeks for your requested board to contact you after you receive notification of approval from IC&RC.

If I hold a license rather than a certification from my jurisdiction and then reciprocate, will I receive a license from my new jurisdiction?

Not necessarily. If the new jurisdiction is one that has licensure rather than certification, you would receive a license. If the new jurisdiction is one that has certification rather than licensure, you would receive a certification.

What is the difference between certification and licensure?

While these terms are often used interchangeably, there can be differences.

Certification is a process by which a non-governmental organization grants recognition to individuals who have met predetermined qualifications and have demonstrated a level of knowledge and skill required in a profession specified by that organization. Certification is typically a voluntary process but can be mandatory in some jurisdictions.

Confusion between the terms arises because many jurisdictions call their licensure processes “certification,” particularly when they incorporate the standards and requirements of private certifying bodies in their licensing statutes and require that an individual be certified to have jurisdictional authorization to practice.

Neither term is right or wrong, good or bad, nor is one term better than the other. It simply is how and by whom a profession is regulated in a particular jurisdiction.

Is my NAADAC credential eligible for reciprocity with IC&RC boards?

Unfortunately, there is no reciprocity for NAADAC credentials to IC&RC boards. Reciprocity only applies to IC&RC reciprocal level credentials offered by IC&RC affiliate boards. Although NAADAC and IC&RC both issue credentials for professionals in the fields of prevention, substance use treatment, and recovery, the organizations are not affiliated with one another. Each organization has their own set of standards and examinations established to credential professionals, but there is no reciprocal agreement between the organizations.

NAADAC credentials do not meet IC&RC standards, as all IC&RC credentials require passing of a corresponding IC&RC examination. If you do not currently hold an IC&RC reciprocal credential, you will need to apply for the credential you are looking to earn directly with the IC&RC affiliate board in your jurisdiction. In the event that the board where you are currently living or working does not offer the credential you are looking to obtain, you are eligible to apply for that credential with any IC&RC board offering it. Please note however, it is left to the discretion of each IC&RC board as to whether they can or will credential a professional who is currently living or working outside that board’s jurisdiction.