According to the U.S. Department of Labor, substance abuse counseling is one of the fastest growing professions, projected to grow 20 percent by 2016.
In 2011, the number of professionals who hold IC&RC credentials crossed the 45,000 mark. Up to half of all substance abuse professionals in the U.S. hold IC&RC certificates.
To further the profession, IC&RC pursues a number of activities in the 25 countries and 47 U.S. states and territories, as well as nine other jurisdictions:
- Developed up-to-date credentials from the latest, evidence-based practices
- Manages both computer-based and paper-and-pencil examinations
- Facilitates reciprocity between member jurisdictions
- Advocates for the profession with U.S. lawmakers and regulators
- Offers training opportunities to meet Continuing Education needs
- Provides services to aid professionals
- Supports the growth of new certification boards and new credentials